The Philosophy Department invites applications for part-time temporary lecturer faculty positions in 2023-2024.
The University, through its major departments, provides graduate students with part-time employment as teaching associates in courses related to their area of advanced study. The appointments usually involve teaching classroom and/or laboratory courses, assessing student performance, and tutoring students. To be eligible, a student must at a minimum:
- Be admitted to classified or conditionally classified status in a graduate degree program at SF State and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better in all course work taken at SF State while in post-baccalaureate status.
- If enrolled previously, is not on academic probation due to earning a GPA below 3.0 in the immediately preceding semester.
- Be a degree-seeking graduate student in the academic department in which they are employed to perform instruction.
- Not be assigned to a course in which academic credit is being earned.
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the subject matter of the discipline in which the assignment is made.
- Possess the ability to communicate and relate well to others within the academic environment and the ability to instruct and constructively evaluate student performance.
- Be registered at SF State during the term of appointment in a minimum of 3 units of course work directly applicable to the graduate degree (including courses for credit toward completion of the graduate degree offered through CEL), or be in a grace semester (has completed all course work the preceding semester and is working on thesis).
- Not be appointed for more than four semesters.
- Not hold a faculty or staff position at SF State.
- All combined student employment at SF State does not equal more than 20 hours per week. One GTA course counts as 8 hours a week.
The Department of Philosophy is accepting applications for Instructional Student Assistants (TAs). Working as an ISA (TA) is an excellent way to gain teaching experience, as well as to broaden the range of your philosophical knowledge.
Please read about Instructional Student Assistant positions in the university here: https://dos.sfsu.edu/content/campus-student-employment. Philosophy ISA positions pay $18 per hour.