Assistant Professorship, Tenure-Track
The San Francisco State University Department of Philosophy invites applicants for a tenure-track position as assistant professor with area of specialization (AOS) in Philosophy of Science (broadly construed) beginning August 2018. Experience researching in a STEM discipline is a plus, as is interest in normative aspects of scientific investigation. Areas of Competence (AOC) open.
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with qualifications. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Qualifications: Ph.D. in Philosophy (or all doctoral requirements completed) by 8/1/18. Evidence of teaching excellence, active scholarship, and potential for publishing research required. Experience of success in teaching a diverse student body and/or mentoring individuals from underrepresented groups is desirable, as is a record of successfully advancing educational equity, inclusion, and diversity in teaching and/or scholarship.
Responsibilities: Duties include teaching in the M.A., B.A., and General Education programs, important roles in supervising master's theses, advising, committee service and curricular development. Ability to teach some of the following is important: Introductory Formal Logic; Philosophy of Science; Philosophy of Risk; Ethics in Science and Technology; Minds, Brains and Computers. Development of new courses welcomed. Scholarly research with high-quality publication expected. We value collaborative work among philosophers and with scholars in other fields. The university provides opportunities for support of both research and teaching projects.
The Department of Philosophy offers two B.A. degrees (in Philosophy and in Philosophy and Religion) and the M.A. degree (in Philosophy), a Pre-Law Emphasis, and a rich array of courses.
Application: Send current c.v., application letter (with email address), at least three letters of recommendation, writing sample, description of research, evidence of potential for successful teaching and scholarly achievement. Application review begins on October 31, 2017, and continues until position is filled. Interviews by SKYPE; finalists invited to campus.
Submit all applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line saying “Philosophy of Science.”
San Francisco State University is a member of the CSU system and serves a diverse student body of 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The University seeks to promote appreciation of scholarship, freedom and, human diversity through excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment. San Francisco State University faculty are expected to be effective teachers and demonstrate professional achievement and growth through research, scholarship, and/or creative work. Our goal is to attract a world-class and diverse faculty committed to build a multicultural educational environment.
San Francisco State University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer with a strong commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected category. We strongly encourage the application of individuals from historically underrepresented groups.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any employment with the CSU.
SF State is a totally smoke-free campus.
Work-Study Employment Application (for Office Assistant and Critical Thinking Lab Assistant)
Instructional Student Assistant Positions
Graduate Teaching Associate Positions
The University, through its major departments, provides graduate students with part-time employment as teaching associates in courses related to their area of advanced study. The appointments usually involve teaching classroom and/or laboratory courses, assessing student performance, and tutoring students. The students assist faculty with field experiences, supervision, and/or research projects. To be eligible, a student must at a minimum:
- Be admitted to classified or conditionally classified status in a graduate degree program at SF State and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better in all course work taken at SF State while in post-baccalaureate status.
- Be a degree-seeking graduate student in the academic department in which she/he is employed to perform instruction.
- Not be assigned to a course in which academic credit is being earned.
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the subject matter of the discipline in which the assignment is made.
- Possess the ability to communicate and relate well to others within the academic environment and the ability to instruct and constructively evaluate student performance.
- Be registered at SF State during the term of appointment in a minimum of 3 units of course work directly applicable to the graduate degree (including courses for credit toward completion of the graduate degree offered through CEL), or have registered for a Culminating Experience course in the previous semester. Students enrolled in the CEL 499 continuous graduate enrollment program are eligible.
- Not be appointed for more than four semesters.
Part-Time Teaching Position
Email completed application with attached C.V. to email@example.com.